In order to better understand US society, values and politics, we will be looking back to history and learn about the British settlers who established the first colony in Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607. Watch these videos:
Discuss with a partner and find answer to these questions:
- Why did the Americans decide not to have a king, do you think?
- In 1865, slavery was abolished, but racism still happened. Which Amendment abolished slavery? Can you think of examples of racism in America today? Give examples.
- What was the impact of the Civil War?
- The 15th amendment gave some people the right to vote. Who was eligible to vote, and who was not?
- What were the Jim Crow laws?
- When and why did the US enter WWI?
- Explain what Prohibition was all about.
- When did women gain the right to vote? And which amendment stated this?
Leave a Reply